I was in the mood this morning to put together a rare Thursday post! I’ve gotten into the habit of posting Monday (weekend pics usually), Wednesday (eats+workouts) and Fridays (Friday Faves or other), but this week I wanted to share some thoughts that didn’t fit into my scheduled posts. So here we go: Unfiltered Thursday!
1. After a 2 month hiatus, I’m back to serving at the Carpenter’s Shelter (our local homeless shelter) with my church group! In case you haven’t heard me talk about it before, our group watches the kids for an hour or two on Mondays while the parents take skill-based/ life classes to help them get back to independent living. I had planned to take a rest day (workout-wise) on Monday, but the kids had other plans; I ended up playing tag and jumping on the trampoline for two hours and really worked up a sweat! And then I ate my first creamsicle ever because one of the little guys handed me one at snacktime and insisted that it was for me, lol. How could I say no? I love those kids.
2. I’ve had a TON of energy lately, which is a nice change from a couple of weeks ago where I felt tired every day. I think it’s a combination of working out in the morning again + more daylight + eating better; whatever it is, I’ll take it! I’m also trying to use up my maca powder by hiding it in my morning smoothies – maybe that’s helping?
3. I dropped $500 (ouch) at my gym yesterday to renew my membership for 2 years. It works out to a little more than $20/ month and is totally worth it for the yoga, spin and other classes I take alone, not to mention the indoor pool (hello pool running!) and tons of cardio/ weight equipment. If you’re looking for a “big-box” gym, I’ve had a great experience with Xsport!
4. My latest TV obsession is Star Trek, which I started watching because I’m reading William Shatner’s very entertaining autobiography, Up Till Now. I know I watched a bunch of episodes with my dad when I was a kid, but I don’t remember them at all, so I’m starting with the Voyager series (all available on Hulu). The animation/ special effects are pretty bad, to be sure, but the story lines are pretty thought-provoking and interesting. Image source
5. It’s official, my beef jerky addiction is out of control. Between my desk at work and the snack drawer at home, I think I have 4 packs of jerky right now (1 from Trader Joe’s and 3 Krave packs). I’m considering buying a dehydrator to make my own at this point…
Total Body Strengthener!
I’ve been lifting weights 2x a week lately, and wanted to share the workout I’ve been doing lately. It’s a great all-over strength workout that only takes about 30 minutes. The only equipment you need are dumbbells and a Swiss ball (if you don’t have a Swiss ball, just skip Set 5 or substitute exercises of your own). Links to some of the exercises are below the graphic.
– single leg deadlift
– chest press on ball
– ball knee tuck/ jackknife
– hip rock and raise
Let me know if you give it a shot! If you’re looking for more workout inspiration, check out my “Workouts to Try” Pinterest Board. Also, happy birthday, Sister J!
Do you have a food dehydrator? What do you use it for?
What TV shows did you watch when you were a kid?