Hey friends! Writing to you from a very snowy DC :) We stayed inside till the snowfall got a little lighter, and then went outside to build forts and snowmen.
I wanted to share some of my goals today for the new year; I know most people don’t make New Year’s resolutions anymore, but I actually like taking the time at the beginning of the year/ month/ week to reflect on what I want to accomplish and how I want to spend my time. So these are some of the things I’ve been thinking about:
Running-related goals: After a really low-key running year last year, I’m ready to tackle some big goals!
- Set 10K and marathon PRs. I didn’t run very many races last year, and the ones I ran were not PRs due to inconsistent training. But my motivation is back, and I’m eager to see what I’m capable of, especially since I’ve gotten used to some higher mileage with the Hanson method. I’d love to go sub-4 in the marathon this fall, and I’m doing some speedwork this spring to train for some shorter races.
- Hit 1000 miles. This has been a goal of mine for a few years, but injuries have prevented me from getting there. But I got surprisingly close last year (~900 miles), and I think this might be the year I make it.
- Run a relay race. No solid plans in this direction, but I’ve wanted to run one for a while, and I’ve been talking with a co-worker about assembling a team for the Bourbon Chase or a Ragnar. I think it would be a blast!
Other life goals: These are a few of the ways I want to grow (mentally and emotionally) this year.
- Study a language. I love learning languages, and need something to do during my free time (besides watching tons of TV, lol). Plus, we’re thinking about moving further away from the city, which means my commute is going to go from 10 minutes to about an hour, and I think listening to language tapes would be productive and help the time go by. I took a couple of classes in Mandarin, and have the Rosetta Stone, so that’s one option – or I could study some basic French because we’re considering going to France this year.
- Volunteer 2X a month. Serving others is such a great way to love the people around me and often gives me perspective about what’s important in life. I started serving again at the Carpenter Shelter a few weeks ago (helping check in homeless people to sleep inside for the night during the cold winter months) and am looking into GED tutoring as well.
Relational goals: Invest in the things that matter.
- Relationship with God. This is the year that I really want to learn more about God – through sermons, daily prayer and quiet time. I’m studying a great devotional book called Praying the Names of God by Ann Spangler that goes through 26 names of God in the Bible in 26 weeks. So far, I’m 3 weeks in and learning a lot about who He is.
- Relationship with Mike. We’ve been married for nearly 5 years and are thinking about starting a family in a year or two, and I want to make sure that our relationship is solid before we introduce a new level of chaos ;) Our goal this year is to plan two dates a month, where we do a fun activity and build some memories together (vs just getting chores done and watching TV at home). I have some great ideas already, like going to the trampoline park and skeet shooting.
- Relationship with people. God has blessed me with some awesome relationships in my life – both friends and family. And I’m learning that all relationships require investments of time and love to maintain and grow. For me, that means calling and contacting friends and family more regularly and visiting friends.
How are you hoping to grow this year?